Saturday, November 9, 2013

Put on your ruby slippers

I'm not perfect.

And I'm not saying I have it all together...or even halfway together.

But in my quest for a meaningful blog, I want to share some things with you from a book that is very meaningful to me, and my hope is that you will glean some great nuggets to apply to your life as well.

The book is Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, M.D., F.I.C.S.

This wasn't a book I directly picked out, although I had heard of it years ago (it was written in 1960- Ha! it's older than me!)  It came to me as part of my monthly personal development subscription I get that helps me improve my personal and professional life.

When it came I promptly ignored it, as I was reading 3 or 4 other books at the time of its arrival.  But something about it kept nagging at me to pick it up.  Fast forward a few months later at a business meeting, the key speaker - someone I highly respected - mentioned the book.  He said it talked about how our brains are goal-seeking devices, and that if you give it a challenge or problem it will do whatever it can to accomplish it.  Owning 3 businesses, being a wife and mother, I'm always looking at ways to do something better...even if it's just my tuna casserole.

Now, I read the book, The Ant and the Elephant by Vince Poscente, which is a great parable of the power of the conscious (ant) and subconscious (elephant) mind.  I learned that in a split second the conscious mind triggers 2,000 neurons. But in the subconscious mind 4,000,000,000 (billion) are triggered!  If we could just learn how to align our Ant & Elephant so they travel in the same direction towards the same desired goals that'd be Awesome!!

So, if that speaker (subconsciously) suggested reading Psycho-Cybernetics, I figured it was time.

The preface blew me away!  Seriously.  I knew, after reading those first few pages, that I HAD to blog on it, even if only you, my one follower, would read this.

I don't know about you, but I feel that I'm here for a reason.  God has given me unique gifts and talents, most of which are still to be discovered, and a purpose to apply those towards.  If there's a way to pull back the curtain and see how my mind works so that I can achieve bigger and bigger successes, than I was going to grab ahold of it!  THAT'S what I want to share with you.

But......since this blog is already quite long, it'll have to wait until the next installment.

Next time, I'm going to talk about how critical our self-image is.  How we have a built-in Success Mechanism.  And how we have the power to wield it!  Good news, Dorothy, you had the power within you the whole time!


Until then, know that you will act like the sort of person you conceive yourself to be.  Who is that?  Do you like him/her?  If not, you CAN change your self-image.  So, put on your ruby slippers and let's figure it out together. :)

Action Step:
What's one thing you'd like to change in your life?  Please leave a comment.



2 comments:

  1. I discovered the book in the early 70's. Perhaps it's time to read it again! Thanks.
    Frank Casanova

    ReplyDelete