Saturday, November 23, 2013

If you're happy and you know it, tell your face!

So you know from my recent blogs that you have a "steersman" inside you to help you make any changes about yourself you don't like.

You know you are engineered by the Creator to be great and do great things for Him.  That you are worthy.  And that you can de-hypnotize yourself from any limiting beliefs that hold you back from achieving your purpose and dreams.  Visualizing, the language of your Creative Mechanism, is one great way to do that.

But what are some other ideas for changing our stinkin' thinkin'?  Or, to put it bluntly, how can you cut out the crappy things you're telling yourself and be nice for goodness sake!

Here are some thoughts Maxwell Maltz shares on happiness that I think will help you and I to be nice to ourselves.

1.  Happiness is simply a state of mind where our thinking is pleasant a good share of the time.

2.  We think better, perform better, feel better, and are healthier when we are happy.

3.  Happiness is a mental habit, a mental attitude, and if it is not learned and practiced in the present it is never experienced.  It cannot be made contingent upon solving some external problem.  BECAUSE…when one problem is solved another appears to take its place.  Life is a series of problems.  If you are to be happy at all, you must be happy – period!  Not happy “because of.”

4.  “The habit of being happy enables one to be freed, or largely freed, from the domination of outward conditions.”  Robert Louis Stevenson

5.  Every day is a mixture of good and evil – no day or circumstance is completely 100% “good.”

6.  Be like a squirrel hoarding chestnuts, store up moments of happiness and triumph so that in a crisis we can draw upon these moments for help and inspiration.

Here are 8 affirmations from the book for us to say WITH FEELING over the next 21 days:

1.  I will be as cheerful as possible.
2.  I will try to feel and act a little more friendly toward other people.
3.  I am going to be a little less critical and a little more tolerant of other people, their faults, failings, and mistakes.  I will place the best possible interpretation upon their actions.
4.  Insofar as possible, I am going to act as if success were inevitable, and I already am the sort of personality I want to be.  I will practice “acting like” and “feeling like” this new personality.
5.  I will not let my own opinion color facts in a pessimistic or negative way.
6.  I will practice smiling at least 3 times during the day.
7.  Regardless of what happens, I will react as calmly and as intelligently as possible.
8.  I will ignore completely and close my mind to all those pessimistic and negative “facts” which I can do nothing to change.

Mark your calendar and see how your "happiness quotient" is from saying these 21 days from now.  I'd love to hear what changes you, or others, have noticed.  (You don't have to wait 21 days to comment.)

Remember, if you're happy and you know it tell your face!
drawing by my son, Wesley!


3 comments:

  1. Love you blog! Minor point that could make a big difference, when stating affirmations, I understand it's best to state them as if they are true now: example, change 1. I will be as cheerful as possible to 2. I AM as cheerful as possible.

    Reference: "A good affirmation has five basic ingredients: it's personal, it's positive, it's present tense, it's visual, and it's emotional." Stephen Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

    Great drawing, love the happy face!

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Michelle!
    Understanding that happiness is a _decision_ and not a state of mind to be tossed about by life's changing circumstances is CRUCIAL. Upon realizing this truth and changing your thinking it's important, and I love how you suggest, to "tell your face". :D
    Charlene's reminder of phrasing affirmations in the present tense is a point well taken and "I am" learning this lesson and acting on it every day.
    Wesley is a wonderfully talented artist and is definitely going places!
    Keep growing,
    - Dan

    ReplyDelete