Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Top 10 Meaningful Movies

It's getting close to the holiday season, and my thoughts turn to...movies.  Sorry, I love movies.  It's my escape.  Our family developed a fun tradition of decorating the whole house, inside and out, on the day after Thanksgiving and then watching a Christmas movie.

When our boys were little it was all about the short animated movies, like A Charlie Brown ChristmasRudolph, Frosty, The Grinch, and Santa Claus is comin' to town - love that Winter Warlock! Then it was Jim Carrey in How The Grinch Stole Christmas for years and years and years. Followed by Elf.  Now we just rotate depending on what we watched the year before.

All this got me thinking about what are the most meaningful movies I've seen.  I know I left out a bunch...that's what you're supposed to do by commenting!  So, here's

My Top 10 Meaningful Movies: (in no particular order)


1.  It's a Wonderful Life Starring James StewartDonna Reed.
You just can't deny the message that we all make a difference, we just have to look for it.

2.  The Princess Bride Starring Cary ElwesRobin Wright.
Who doesn't love the humor, sword fights and romance?!  There are too many great lines to quote.

3.  Fireproof Starring Kirk CameronErin Bethea.
I think all of Alex Kendrick's movies are amazing.  This is a must-watch for couples, married or not.

4.  Facing the Giants Starring Alex KendrickShannen Fields.
"Your personal best."  Are we giving that every day?  Ouch. So inspirational!

5.  Courageous Starring Alex KendrickKen Bevel.
No, I am not Alex's publicist!  I can't help it, he makes powerful, meaningful movies.  All males should watch this, but only if they want to become real men.

6.  The Ultimate Gift Starring Drew FullerJames Garner.
WAY better than the book, which is a rare thing for me to say. I think all kids should watch this one...might help eliminate that "entitlement" attitude that seems to be so prevalent these days.

7.  Life is Beautiful Starring Roberto BenigniNicoletta Braschi.
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I just saw this movie a few months ago.  Yes, I'm a little slow.  It won so many awards for a reason.  If you haven't seen this yet, hurry and rent it.

8.  A Christmas Carol - just about any version.
One of my pastor's preached on this theme a few years ago, and yes I agree, Jesus is the one that changes our hearts, not us.  And I still love the idea of that transformation, no matter who does it.  My favorite versions are played by Henry Winkler, yes, you read that correctly. He did an amazing performance about 30 years ago.  And Patrick Stuart.

9.  The Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson and starring Jim Caviezel.
Controversial? Yes. Courageous? Yes.  Life-changing?  I hope so.

10.  The Matrix Trilogy Starring Keanu Reeves. Carrie-Anne MossHugo WeavingLaurence Fishburne.
This closes out my list not because of the cool sci-fi effects, love story, or intense action.   But the eerie, underlying message that there are forces and things going on in our world that we are not aware of, but could be if given the right information. 

What movies have been especially meaningful to you?  I'd love to know. Please share.

6 comments:

  1. I loved watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas"when I was growing up. That was my favorite time of the year. People just seemed to be a lot more cheerful and good nature d towards one another. I think I will go and watch a movie now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm. Interesting question. Some possible answers --
    Fahrenheit 451 - proving that even a great book doesn't guarantee a good movie
    Interview with a Vampire - proving that even a really bad book might make a pretty good movie
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - gives hope that there may be one honest politician someday (Nah! That's just too farfetched.)
    Arsenic and Old Lace - proof that great comedy never gets old
    I could go on and on. It's a fun exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the oldies, too! Thanks for playing. :D

      Delete
  3. Matrix Trilogy. That is kind of surprising, but you're right it has some good messages, but for me, the high point was the first one; it went down hill from there; #2 was too philosophical; #3 was too weird, for a lack of a better word. Yet, it was interesting how the nth Neo was the first to choose love over Zion, and that brought an end to the cycles. The irony that he ended being the "One" for both humans and machines. I suppose number 1 was the best for me because it was a fresh idea and well thought out. Red pill or Blue?

    I'd have to think about my current top ten. Give me a little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thoughts, as always. I choose the Red pill. :D

      Delete