Thursday, November 8, 2012

Facebook is NOT your Mama

November 6th marked the 9th anniversary (strange word to use in this circumstance) of my mother's death.  I loved her very much, but I'll admit that we didn't always get along.  I was more of a daddy's girl, until they divorced when I was around 14.  That's because she was more of the "Enforcer."  Whereas, in my dad's eyes I could do no wrong, most of the time.

Even though we didn't agree on many things for most of my life, I still feel this hole where she used to be.  When something cool happens in my life, I want to share it with someone. Who's going to be the most proud of me?  My mom.  Who do I want to impress the most?  My mom.

It takes me back to summertime, jumping in the pool millions of times, and saying, "Mommy, watch me!  Watch me again, mommy!"  Well, for many of us, millions I believe, Mommy isn't watching anymore.  So where are we going to get that vital affirmation, approval, and appreciation?!

Enter Facebook.

I realized as I wrote in my journal that day, the role Facebook tries to fill is that of my mother.

Think about it.  What kinds of things do people post?  Look at me, I'm doing this!  Or hey, I'm going here!  Or wow, my kids did that!  I'll admit, I do the same, hopefully not to the point of sickening others.  But aren't we all looking for someone to tell us, "Good job, honey, I'm proud of you."?!

One advantage of Facebook over Mom, unlike a real face-to-face contact, we can post and not risk rejection, or worse, indifference.  Yet, do the "LIKES" and comments we get really affirm us as much as our moms did? (Hoping you had a decent mom like me and the answer is no.)

Whether you had a great mom or not, or dad, or grandparent, or someone else who filled that role, there will always be a hole that no human can completely fill.

Enter God.

Yeah, Him.

He accepts, approves, and appreciates us...not because of what we've done, but because of His Son.
His promises are always kept.  His will is always done.  His love endures forever.

I won't get all preachy, but I hope you know, really know, why you believe what you believe.  Eternity is a long time to be wrong.

Back to Mom.  Facebook is not your mama.  I'm  not saying stop posting your accomplishments.  I am saying, look for true, deep, and lasting approval from the One who will always give it.
My mom at 18 yrs old in 1951

And if you're mom's still alive, please call or see her and tell her how meaningful she's been to you.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will call my Mom right now. You have given me some great principles to think about. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete