Sunday, October 21, 2012

Information Overload


My head is still swimming with all the awesome information I got and the people I met yesterday at the SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators) Fall Conference in Oakland.

Have you ever gone to a conference, seminar, or talk of some kind and get a packet chock full of resources, tips & tricks of the trade?  Or come home with pages and pages of your own notes?  Then, if you’re like me, you come home exhausted and excited and try to download everything onto the closest living creature - - for me it was my husband, Mark.

Thankfully, my beloved counterpart possesses Super Human Qualities, in this case HE ASKED ME ABOUT WHAT I LEARNED!!  Seriously.

I’m pretty sure I did a good job of not blasting him.  I think of the 80's comedian Gallagher spraying exploding watermelon on his audience...no, not me, this time. :)

Then there’s the daunting task of what to DO with all that info!  Oh, if only I had 2 weeks of undivided time to thoroughly research everything I was given, ok, maybe months.  But, alas, I don’t.

So, what “1 Thing” can I implement to get things started?  Internet research?  Manuscript rewrites?  Social media stuff?  Follow up with the new connections I made?  Join this or that?

Naaawww.  I chose to blog.

It may not be pretty, but it’s done and I can check “1 Thing” off my list! :D

What do you do after a seminar with what you’ve learned?  File it?  Chuck it? Share it? Got any suggestions for the rest of us?  Please share your meaningful ideas.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment